Dr. Rick Ruegg has lived and practiced psychology in Greenwood for 30 years. He is a licensed psychologist and marriage and family therapist in private practice.
He was originally from rural Ohio, near Canton, where his mom, Eileen and three brothers, Roger, Ron, and Rusty live with their families.
His immediate family includes wife, Debi, daughters Becky and Katie, sons-in-law Roy and John; step kids Jessica, Michael and daughter-in-law, Kelly. Our family celebrated three weddings over the course of one calendar year, concluding May of 2014. Great times!
HOBBIES AND INTERESTS
Vintage cars, new cars, four-wheeling, go-karts, gardening, healthy eating, and mindful living. He enjoys spin class and working out at the YMCA, yoga, Chi Gong, walking and meditation.
A project person, his favorite activities on a weekend are putzing around in his new garage, the “Taj MaGarage,” grilling on the patio with “the kids,” or hiking in nature. He is presently dismantling a 1936 Plymouth, which he intends to street rod.
Travel. Especially to out-of-the-ordinary places. A few past favorites are Vieques Island, Puerto Rico; B & B’s surrounding the coast of Scotland; the hill towns of Italy; and an African Safari.
His dream vacation has been to rent a huge beach house in South Carolina and enjoy a relaxing week with all four kids and their significant others. This is coming to fruition this upcoming summer.
He recently returned from two weeks on the island of Kauai where he enjoyed hiking, a 1-day visit to Pearl harbor and lots of beach time.
Last books he read: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and The Giver.
Currently on his reading table: Ushering in Heaven by Sunder S. Arora, MD., Monitor on Psychology and, as always, a stack of car magazines.
On his bucket list: Attending the air show at Oshkosh, WI, traveling Germany and Switzerland (his heritage), riding a bicycle across the U.S., and completing the restoration of his 1936 Plymouth as a street rod. Scuba diving with kids.
Celebrations: Spent time with his brothers in the Florida Keys “fishing” in spite of the cold, windy weather. Brightened up the gray winter months of 2015 with meaningful, connecting experiences with family and friends. Convinced his wife to go to a Mopar swap meet.
His favorite quotation comes from Joseph Campbell: “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.”
Dr. Rick Ruegg has been providing psychological counseling to individuals, couples, and families in Greenwood for the past 30 years. He specializes in marriage and family therapy as well as therapeutic treatment for depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, and substance abuse.
Professionally, his proudest accomplishment is providing a safe place, void of judgment, for fellow human beings to openly discuss challenges.
Dr. Rick has continued his education with an emphasis in marriage and family therapy. Attending multiple training sessions at Onsite, a retreat and professional training center in the mountains of Tennessee, he has completed certification in advanced methods of experiential therapy, which he implements in both couples and individual therapy sessions.
- Psychodrama Institute, February 24-28, 2012. Trainer/Instructor: Jean Campbell
- Psychodrama Institute, February 20-25, 2009. Trainer/Instructor: Susan Powell
- Experiential Therapy Institute, May 13-18, 2005. Trainer/Instructor: Deb Leinart
- Ph.D. Counseling Psychology, 1988: Ball State University, Muncie, IN.
- M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy, 1979: Western Evangelical Seminary, Portland, OR.
- B.A. in Religious Philosophy, Communications minor, 1976: Vennard College, University Park, IA.
- Health Services Provider in Psychology, Indiana License, 1989 to date.
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Indiana License, 1993 to date.
- American Psychological Association
- Indiana Psychological Association
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- Indiana Association of Marriage and Family Therapists