Couples come to me because they are dissatisfied with, or want to improve, their relationship. They may be in crises, suffering disappointment or desire increased intimacy. The relationship is not satisfying the needs of one or both partners. The relationship may be challenged by one or more of the following issues:
- Loss of passion
- Money and finances
I offer a safe place for couples to tell the story of their relationship. While exploring the history, I seek to understand the relationship dynamics, while the client represents his or her individual viewpoint. Together, we review the history that defines the present situation and creates the opportunity to design and plan a positive future.
- Initial meeting—getting acquainted, exploring the motivation of individuals and the couple to work on the marriage. What are you here to hire me to do?
- Plan future sessions.
- Chronological history of relationship and life circumstances.
- Feedback—defining the strengths, weaknesses, behaviors, and circumstances that have impacted the relationship.
- Outline objectives for relationship improvement.
- Coaching—my role becomes teacher/coach as I aid couples in avoiding defensive, judgmental, selfish patterns of dialogue that negatively impact the relationship. Together, we work toward understanding, accepting, and supportive interaction.