Family therapy is unique. Both the complexity and the potential beauty of a family is created by the individuals who make up the group. Families come to me seeking guidance as they deal with transition, growth and changing roles, loss, marital separation or the division of a family, or the blending of a family.
Family relationships may be challenged by one or more of the following issues:
- Successful co-parenting following divorce
- Adolescent development
- Life crisis and loss
- Lifespan development—change
- Valuing the individuals who create the family unit
Sometimes families need an outside voice to assist them in effective communication and realizing their potential power as a team.
Family Therapy Process:
- Individual interviews with each family member—identify goals
- Record family history through story
- Identify strengths and weaknesses of the family unit
- Understand defensive behaviors
- Problem solve
- Enrichment—create a plan for positive engagement within the family system