Couples come to me because they are dissatisfied with, or want to improve, their relationship. They may be in crises, suffering disappointment, or desire increased intimacy. The relationship may not be satisfying the needs of one or both partners, or may be challenged by one or more of the following issues:
- Loss of passion
- Sexual issues
- Money and finances
- Transitions—empty nest, retirement, career change, etc.
I offer a safe place for couples to tell the story of their relationship. While exploring their history together, we seek to understand the evolution of relationship dynamics while each client represents his or her individual viewpoint. We assess the present situation, personal issues and forgiveness; and creatively design a new definition of the partnership, seeking to create a positive future.
Couples Therapy Process:
- Initial meeting—get acquainted, overview of the relationship, explore the motivation of both individuals to work on the marriage. I ask, “What are you here to hire me to do?”
- Plan future sessions.
- Chronological history of relationship and life circumstances.
- Interactive, fun, experiential exercises to enhance understanding and communication, both during session and as homework.
- Feedback—defining the strengths, weaknesses, behaviors, and circumstances that have impacted the relationship.
- Outline objectives for relationship improvement.
- Coaching—my role becomes teacher/coach as I aid couples in avoiding defensive, judgmental, selfish patterns of dialogue that negatively impact the relationship. Together, we work toward understanding, accepting, and supportive interaction.